History

Tekanpur conjures an image of an oasis in the rocky and barren terrain surrounding the state of Gwalior.

Suraksha Bhawan

The obscure village of Tekanpur, 32 Km from Gwalior on NH 75 caught the fancy of the Scindhias in the early 20th Century.

The various forts, palaces, temples and network of canals bear ample testimony of their love for fine arts.

In order to alleviate the sufferings of the common man, the Scindhias harnessed the water of various seasonal nallahs and constructed a 1875 mtrs long and 17.7 meters high dam with a catchment area of 64.75 square Kms.

Thus came in to being the Band Tal or lake of tranquil retreat.

In the year 1933, Maharaja Jiwaji Rao Scindhia selected a site near the lake for a Retreat inspired by the scenic surroundings of Tekanpur.

T A Ritcha, a Spainiard, whose architectural marvel the Padam Vilas Palace of Pune still stands majestically, was commissioned to draw the design of Retreat. The master genius then designed the Retreat in the shape of an anchored ship with unmatched glory, grandeur and ambience.

Interiors of the Retreat were decorated by the famous Italian master Bradly and Loren Zini. Bavarian glasses, Dutch brass and Italian marvel were delicately used. The ambience still stands. The garden at the backyard has a cascading waterfall and a row of fountains, which add luster to the Retreat.
 
The Sunset at Lake

In 1965, the Rajamata of Gwalior transferred the Retreat along with 52 acres of surrounding land to BSF. The retreat was rechristened as ‘Suraksha Bhawan’.

The Madhya Pradesh Government then sold another 700 acres of surrounding land to Ministry of Home Affairs for establishing a Training Center.

In and around the Lake, one can sight Chinese Coot, Demoiselle Crane, Flamingo, Cotton Teal, Grey Heron, Purple Heron, Little Grebe, Cormorant, Egret, River Tern, White Breasted Kingfisher, Ibis, Black Winged Stilt, Red Wattled Lapwing and many other water birds.